Bug hunting

Discussion in 'Site Discussion' started by Zelkova, Oct 19, 2017.

1. Zelkova

Zelkova Moses Pl0x
    Administrator

Best Answers:
    IGN:
    Veigar
    Job:
    F/P Mage
    Server:
    Reboot
    #21 Zelkova, Feb 6, 2018 at 4:43 PM
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
    After researching it, it looks like I would need to redo our entire DNS with another provider (amazon) get HTTPS with our CDN. The only other alternative would be to purchase a certificate.

The right thing to do would be to reconfigure our DNS, however I'm not in a super huge rush to do that.

Attached Files:

Sky likes this.
  2. elluci

elluci Panlid

Best Answers:
    IGN:
    Ellucidate
    Job:
    Demon Slayer
    Server:
    Bera
    Hi, I am currently writing a guide at the moment and have come across this error:

[​IMG]

Whenever I try to write more in one section and update it, it does not save, and I get this message. However, if I move it to another tab then I get this error again also, but it still updates over there. I believe its because I have hit a limit or something, since this doesn't pop up when I've deleted a lot of text and updated it. It updates smoothly. I've tried starting over on a completely new template and posting the contents on there, but I am still greeted by this error.

3. Zelkova

Zelkova Moses Pl0x
    Administrator

Best Answers:
    IGN:
    Veigar
    Job:
    F/P Mage
    Server:
    Reboot
    Can you drop your guide into something that can count words/letters? I think the current limit is REALLY high, but if that's the case then I can just raise it.

4. Masterobert

Masterobert Panlid

Best Answers:
    IGN:
    DelusionDash
    Job:
    Phantom
    Server:
    Bera
    I've been hit by it as well. Looks like we need to be more condensed hehe.

Here is my total word and character count from all the tabs in the guide:

Words: ~11,522
    Characters (no spaces): ~86,165
    Characters (with spaces): ~97,137

5. Zelkova

Zelkova Moses Pl0x
    Administrator

Best Answers:
    IGN:
    Veigar
    Job:
    F/P Mage
    Server:
    Reboot
    Try again.

6. Masterobert

Masterobert Panlid

Best Answers:
    IGN:
    DelusionDash
    Job:
    Phantom
    Server:
    Bera
    The issue still persists.

7. Zelkova

Zelkova Moses Pl0x
    Administrator

Best Answers:
    IGN:
    Veigar
    Job:
    F/P Mage
    Server:
    Reboot
    The issue may have been the number of images. Try once more?

8. Masterobert

Masterobert Panlid

Best Answers:
    IGN:
    DelusionDash
    Job:
    Phantom
    Server:
    Bera
    It still gives me the error.

I played around with it a bit and it looks like the error is only occurring when trying to go over some text limit in the non main Guide tabs (Build, Skill Info, Gameplay, FAQ). I added a whole wall of text in the main Guide tab of the guide, and there are no errors.

I am strictly adding more text, nothing else.

9. elluci

elluci Panlid

Best Answers:
    IGN:
    Ellucidate
    Job:
    Demon Slayer
    Server:
    Bera
    My characters for one tab is 63,836 with spaces, and 56,919 without. It seems you can't add that much more since it is neglected when it is updated. My work around is submitting any other parts I need in another tab (I used Skill Info). Every time when I hit submit/update the guide, it will still greet me with the error, but it still updates on the preview..

Another issue I'm running into at the moment is this:

[​IMG]

Earlier when I was working on this, and previewed my guide, all the images/gifs I had were all showing. Now some of them show this icon in place of the image/gif. Some of them are working fine and without issue, but a lot of them randomly show this now. Though, when I click on the image/gif, I still see the original. I should note, I have a large amount of images/gifs and it is focused around this section where I show some demonstrations, so if I'm able to, I'd prefer not to cut some content here. I am unsure whether this an issue with my gif capturing application (gyazo) or the site.

10. Zelkova

Zelkova Moses Pl0x
    Administrator

Best Answers:
    IGN:
    Veigar
    Job:
    F/P Mage
    Server:
    Reboot
    As it stands currently, these are the limiting factors within the Guide plugin.

[​IMG]

And these are the limits boardwide

[​IMG]

@elluci Are you hotlinking from other sites? Gyazo shouldn't block embeds, but if you were using like images from another website that doesn't provide image hosting they can block embeds. This also goes hand in hand with what you were seeing earlier, the images might have been cached on your machine and looked fine to you.

11. Zelkova

Zelkova Moses Pl0x
    Administrator

Best Answers:
    IGN:
    Veigar
    Job:
    F/P Mage
    Server:
    Reboot
    @Dianette as someone who has posted lengthy guides, can you help me identify this bug?

12. Dianette

Dianette STR Mage

Best Answers:
    IGN:
    Dianette
    Job:
    Paladin
    Server:
    Scania
    Ping everyone who was affected for this dad: The warning pops up, but it is purely visual. Once you click 'save', it will give you the warning and appear to not be updated. What you do after that is 'preview guide' and it should show a preview with the actual updated info. After that, go back to edit guide, and it should have the updated info.

This is how it worked for me. I cannot guarantee that it will work for you. The best way to test it will be to add one random work to one of the guides, try to save it, get the error message, preview guide, and see if the guide actually got updated. If it does, you're good to go. Just ignore the error message and preview the guide after every change.

also @Masterobert holy shit it's you! I'm a big fan! I ended up linking your stat comparison calculator thing in my Paladin guide, but I made sure to give the credits to you. Is that okay?

13. Masterobert

Masterobert Panlid

Best Answers:
    IGN:
    DelusionDash
    Job:
    Phantom
    Server:
    Bera
    #33 Masterobert, Feb 7, 2018 at 5:25 PM
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    Yes, that's perfectly fine :)
    I was glad to see it myself haha. Nice guide by the way!

Also, I'll go ahead and give what you said a try, and will edit this message if successful.

EDIT: I can confirm the error is purely visual.

14. Zelkova

Zelkova Moses Pl0x
    Administrator

Best Answers:
    IGN:
    Veigar
    Job:
    F/P Mage
    Server:
    Reboot
    That's one janky fix. I'll bring it up with the plugin dev.

15. elluci

elluci Panlid

Best Answers:
    IGN:
    Ellucidate
    Job:
    Demon Slayer
    Server:
    Bera
    I believe all images I have are screenshots from the puush application only, and all gifs from gyazo. All gifs I put in were done similarly, capture gif > take the direct link > [​IMG]. Some of the gifs have no problems, some do. I will try recapturing some gifs to see if there is still an issue.

16. Zelkova

Zelkova Moses Pl0x
    Administrator

Best Answers:
    IGN:
    Veigar
    Job:
    F/P Mage
    Server:
    Reboot
    @elluci

[​IMG]

This is a Gyazo image. For me it is showing, but it may be due to caching.

I enabled image proxying like an hour ago. Theres a chance that some sites don't like image proxying. If this is an issue, I can turn it off. The reason I enabled it is that it helps fix a previous problem we had in this thread where images that weren't being served over HTTPS were not giving us the lock.

[​IMG]

17. elluci

elluci Panlid

Best Answers:
    IGN:
    Ellucidate
    Job:
    Demon Slayer
    Server:
    Bera
    This is a gif of what's happening in the guide I'm writing.

[​IMG]

It's weird that some are allowed and some are not even though I've done them all pretty much the same. Don't worry about reverting that change, since it is more important. I will recapture my gifs, and hopefully all goes smoothly. :)

18. Zelkova

Zelkova Moses Pl0x
    Administrator

Best Answers:
    IGN:
    Veigar
    Job:
    F/P Mage
    Server:
    Reboot
    For the sake of trying it a different way, would you mind trying to upload 1 gif to imgur to see what it does?

19. Dianette

Dianette STR Mage

Best Answers:
    IGN:
    Dianette
    Job:
    Paladin
    Server:
    Scania
    @elluci My advice is to upload the gif to imgur and embed it via the imgur command. Take note when embedding that the link ends in '.gif' and not '.gifv'

20. elluci

elluci Panlid

Best Answers:
    IGN:
    Ellucidate
    Job:
    Demon Slayer
    Server:
    Bera
    #40 elluci, Feb 7, 2018 at 6:08 PM
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    Not sure if I've done it correctly, but yeah I tried uploading it to imgur, and using that link for the gif. No dice. It's fine though, at the moment, I've recaptured some gifs and they are working smoothly.

EDIT: I think the issue is that the gifs are too large area wise. Some gifs are long and thin/wide and short which work, but the ones that are larger do not show. I have been recapturing the gifs, they were too large in size anyway.