Is 8GB of RAM too small to run maple these days?

Discussion in 'Games' started by MylesDawson, Mar 11, 2020.

1. MylesDawson

Best Answers:
    We both have our own pc’s and have been playing maple for about a year now, but recently her game has been crashing frequently. It’s the type of crash where the maplestory window just completely disappears. There’s no error window that pops up or anything.

I checked how much RAM she has and it’s only 8gb. Mind you, she doesn’t have any other programs running during maple. And we’re aware of how buggy maple can be at times. I mean hell, I get kicked up sometimes too. But it’s super rare for me to get kicked off, compared to my wife who’s been experiencing this issue very recently, and at a higher rate than usual.

So just to get some other thoughts, do yall think it’s time to go up to 16gb for her?

2. Zelkova

Zelkova Moses Pl0x
    Administrator

Best Answers:
    IGN:
    Veigar
    Job:
    F/P Mage
    Server:
    Reboot
    Hey there!

So 8gb is probably ok as long as you're not running much else on your PC other than Maple. Windows 10 by default will use over 1gb of ram just while it's running. If you have Discord or Chrome open at the same time, you're probably going to cap out on ram at 8gb total.

It's better for future-proofing at this point to attempt to get 16gb if possible.

3. CatFace

CatFace Panlid
    Founder

Best Answers:
    IGN:
    Kytti
    Job:
    Evan
    Server:
    Reboot
    8gb is def enough, watch your task manager to see if maple is taking an excessive amount, if it crosses the 3gb it is almost certainly having a memory leak.
    might be some other issue like a specific hardware incompatibility or dependency version(maple requires c++ redistributable and will install their recommended version if its missing).

4. MajorDepress

Best Answers:
    IGN:
    FkingDespair
    Job:
    Kanna
    Server:
    Reboot
    8GB of RAM is recommended and good for nearly anything. You only really need more than that when you're streaming a game you're playing or you have 500 tabs open or 6 streams open in the background.