Wind Archers — [Witty Subtitle Here]

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Kao, Oct 29, 2017.

1. Kao

Kao Panlid
    Founder

Best Answers:
    IGN:
    Kluve
    Job:
    Mercedes
    Server:
    Bera
    Kao published a new article:

Read more about this article...
    --- Double Post Merged, Oct 29, 2017, Original Post Date: Oct 29, 2017 ---
    this guide is stupid as hecko
    didn't help me solo mano
    0/7.8
    wouldn't reccomend to my enemies

2. Vector

Vector Witchhunter
    Founder

Best Answers:
    IGN:
    VectorXero
    Job:
    Wind Archer
    Server:
    Reboot
    Guided Arrow and Merciless Winds do not proc Trifling Wind or Storm Bringer.
    Howling Gale and Cygnus Phalanx do.

3. Enbon

Enbon Panlid
    Founder

Best Answers:
    IGN:
    Enbox
    Job:
    Dark Knight
    Server:
    Reboot
    Not sure if convinced to play class or to stay as far away as possible...

4. Kao

Kao Panlid
    Founder

Best Answers:
    IGN:
    Kluve
    Job:
    Mercedes
    Server:
    Bera
    Stay away.
    Definitely.

5. Vector

Vector Witchhunter
    Founder

Best Answers:
    IGN:
    VectorXero
    Job:
    Wind Archer
    Server:
    Reboot
    Wind Archer is a solid class to play. They're one of the most aesthetic classes and they've been top 10 on the DPS charts for several patches now (if you're into that kinda thing). They're very easy to fund since DEX is a cheap stat and they only need 1 trio of nodes. They're a little painful to level 3rd job since Sentient Arrow actually sucks, especially for the flat maps you'll be training on, but otherwise they mob well. They thrive on narrow, vertical maps that allow you to jump down and teleport back up so you can use Song of Heaven to proc Trifling Wind and destroy the map. They can handle flat horizontal maps as well if you trait into Spiraling Vortex or even Fairy Spiral if you do enough damage. They're not the most mobile class, but they have a good flash jump that goes upward as well, plus Wind Walk is great for instantly creating or closing distance with the added benefit of i-frames at the very beginning. They can also cheese certain bosses like Hellux and CQueen with Emerald Flower/Crystal/whatever and are one of the tankiest archer classes.

Tl;dr - I would definitely recommend this class, so don't get scared off by Kao's I'm-a-grumpy-old-man act. :laughingbitches:

6. PBJT

PBJT Wind Archer Extremist
    Founder

Best Answers:
    IGN:
    PBJT
    Job:
    Wind Archer
    Server:
    Reboot
    Everyone will play a Wind Archer! :angeryme:

7. monkaS

monkaS Panlid

Best Answers:
    IGN:
    TerrBear
    Job:
    Bow Master
    Server:
    Reboot
    imagine playing wind archer without buff freezers :superwokeme:

8. PBJT

PBJT Wind Archer Extremist
    Founder

Best Answers:
    IGN:
    PBJT
    Job:
    Wind Archer
    Server:
    Reboot
    Only the best Wind Archers don't use buff freezers :e050d06a18a54284a1415df23d8e94c4:

9. Samantha

Samantha Moses Pl0x
    Founder

Best Answers:
    Server:
    Luna
    What's a buff freezer? :^)

10. Vector

Vector Witchhunter
    Founder

Best Answers:
    IGN:
    VectorXero
    Job:
    Wind Archer
    Server:
    Reboot
    @Kao Some initial feedback:

As I mentioned, I tested to confirm that Howling Gale and Cygnus Phalanx proc Trifling Wind while Guided Arrow and Merciless Winds do not.
    I would make an exception to using Spiraling Vortex and investing in its hypers when you're training on long horizontal maps, you do not have the damage to kill efficiently with Fairy Spiral, and you can afford resetting hyper passives. Some examples are training at Lake of Oblivion and Cave of Repose in Vanishing Journey. On most other maps, namely vertical ones with platforms, you should use Song of Heaven to proc TW.
    Somewhat related, it's worth mentioning that SoH is a hurricane skill that attacks 8 times per second and does not benefit from attack speed. Things like SV and FS do benefit from attack speed buffs, however.
    Regarding Howling Gale, you should spam it off cooldown when bossing. The first shot will usually be 2 charges, assuming you haven't used it prior to the fight, and the subsequent shots will be 1 charge. 1 charge and 2 charge generate the same amount of Trifling Wind procs, so the higher your TW level is, the more it'll outweigh the paltry 200% damage difference between the charge stages. Mobbing is more discretionary, although it's worth noting that 2 charges is significantly taller and wider than 1 charge, and hits 15 mobs instead of 10. Of course it only has half the uptime as 1 charge.

Do you have any details about the i-frames in Wind Walk? I believe there are only a few at the beginning of the animation, but I'm not 100% sure.
    Are you planning on adding a section on boost/skill nodes? There's only 1 ideal trinode: Song of Heaven, Trifling Wind, and Storm Bringer. You mention this at the beginning under Pros, but nowhere else. I think it's worth mentioning some potentially useful skill nodes, such as Erda Nova and possibly Rope Lift or Advanced Blessing. Decent Sharp Eyes and Speed Infusion are mostly useless for obvious reasons. Holy Symbol is a luxury, but having a Bishop mule is just better.
    Are there any skills that shouldn't be maxed as you level to 4th job?
    Do you have any tips for using Emerald Flower for bossing? For instance, if you place it to one side of Gollux and stand further away on the opposite side, he will aggro the crystal and not face you. Similarly, you can bait Von Bon in black clocks with it and make Crimson Queen face away from you.
    Do you also have any training tips? Personally I'd include the effectiveness of SV vs SoH on certain maps and advice on jump attacking and stutterstepping (perhaps relevant to bossing as well) to maintain mobility.